Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) (Point-tested) Stream
This visa is suitable for people who are well qualified with work experience in their field. It aims to meet Australia’s skills shortages and gives successful application permanent residence. This visa is appropriate for applicants who have a university qualification or trade qualifications.
The Skilled Independent visa subclass 189 is a permanent residence visa for skilled workers who want to work and live in Australia, in an occupation on the Skilled Occupation Lists (SOL).
Visa applicants can be in or outside of Australia upon application, and when the visa is granted. This visa is only open to applicants upon receiving an invitation by the Department of Home Affairs once an Expression of Interest has been lodged.
This Skilled visa stream is for Points-tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government.
It allows you to live and work in Australia as a permanent resident. For the Skilled Independent (Pointed-tested) stream you need to submit an expression of interest. If you are a New Zealand citizen you may also be eligible to apply for the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189) (New Zealand) stream.
To be eligible for Skilled Independent visa subclass 189, you must:
- Have a relevant occupation
- Have a suitable skills assessment for the occupation
- Meet the points test pass mark of 60 points
- Be under 45 years of age at time of invitation
- Have Competent English
- Be invited by the government to apply
- Meet the health and character requirements
Points are awarded in the following categories:
- English language ability
- Previous Australian and Overseas skilled work experience
- International qualifications
- Australian study requirements and awards
- Credentialed community language qualifications
- Regional Australian Study
- Spouse Skill qualifications
- Professional year in Australia